Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Charlie's Peter Rabbit Party

Charlie's party was on Saturday. I LOVE birthday parties. Any kind of party, really. But birthdays are so special. No matter what you do to celebrate, you just can't beat cake, ice cream, and a bunch of people singing to you. I have been known to get a little carried away with the details, but it's so much fun for me. I wish I felt as enthusiastic about exercising or cleaning showers. Usually I start working on them well before the date of the party, but this time around I dilly-dallied and didn't get started until a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm willing to admit this because I already know I am crazy ... I bought little Peter Rabbit books in the dollar spot at Target about 3 years ago (while I was pregnant with Cooper). I bought 25 ... thinking how much fun a Peter Rabbit party could be, and these would be perfect favors. Then Colin got me a cupcake book that had this idea in it, and it was official ... had to start planning a Peter Rabbit themed birthday. But Cooper's first birthday ended up to be Halloween-themed, so the little books sat in the top of the closet in the nursery until now.

Here is some of the Peter Rabbit inspired food ...

I took a box from Calloway's Nursery and glued the little fence to it. Put burlap down on the bottom, and lined the edges with twine.


The little veggies are made out of starbursts, candy-coated cornflakes, and more candy.

Cupcakes were chocolate with chocolate butter cream icing.
Then rolled them into crushed oreos.

Mmm... Cake batter bark. Found the recipe here.


Oreo truffles - that were supposed to look like heads of lettuce.





GIANT marshmallows.


Carrots in ranch - one of the "healthy" things on the table.
I love the little cups - which are from Bake it Pretty - one of my favorite sites for fun cake decorating supplies.


The only other healthy choice in contrast to all the sweets.


Blackberry Cobbler.
Colin made it, along with deviled eggs.


Charlie's party wouldn't have been complete without them.


And Peter Rabbit's little blue jacket cookies.
I wish I could think of another reason to ever use a jacket-shaped cookie cutter.


We put the drinks in the wheelbarrows.
Beer in the big one, juice boxes in the little one : )

We also had sliders (Thank you Pawpaw Kevin for taking charge of the grill) and coleslaw, bunny shaped fruit snacks, Annie's bunny cookies ...
We sent lots of left-overs home with the party people.
You can't have too much food.

Some decorations...







I used Easter bunnies we have collected from the past few years ...

Lavender, strawberry, and tomato plants




Paper Mache Letters found at JoAnn's.
Mini veggies from Bake it Pretty.



Favors







We had a lot of fun ...


The kids decorated flower pots and then planted some carrot seeds in them.


Sweet Ann. She wrote a note to Charlie that said,
"Charlie, the day you were born, you were an angel."



Will decorated a flower pot for his son, Daniel, since Daniel was more interested in running around...

We hid little carrots around the yard that were filled with candy for the kids to find.






Margaret got a little dirt on her face ...

Could she be cuter?



The kids cooled off in the ice.

There was a man party at the grill.








Jackson was scared of the candle, but helped blow it out anyway.










This little munchkin brings an unbelievable amount of joy to our lives.


Happy birthday Charlie!


11 comments:

  1. I'm speechless! Please send me the cake batter bark recipe! I love you and miss you. Any summer trip to Lake Charles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY HEAVENS!!! You just continue to outdo yourself. It is obvious that all this creativity and artistic ability just pours from the love of your children. It's also obvious that you just love doing this. What blessed little boys you have. You are amazing in everything you do. REALLY amazing, Liz.
    R-E-A-L-L-Y!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love everything you've done here! I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas as inspiration for my son's butterfly release party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great party! I actually bought those same little notebooks but have not used them yet. They were too cute to pass up. You could also use that jacket cookie cutter for a paddington bear party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - this is the most adorable party ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. adorable!!!! i may steal some of these ideas for my sister's baby shower. she loves to garden so it would be a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING! I mean...WOW. sooo impressed! I bookmarked your blog and this fabulous party. I would love to share it on my blog! You are so clever! the food is the best. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw this post linked to Rebekah's blog. The party was amazing!! Can you please come to San Antonio and plan Evie's birthday party??? :) I love the idea of drinks in wheelbarrows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We may do a bunch of these ideas for my Son's Harvest Birthday party. Where did you find the plastic carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the amazing ideas! I used so many of them for my daughters first birthday. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. where can I buy the mine water cans with the seed packets printed on them

    ReplyDelete